The City of Los Angeles recently implemented the Retail Fair Work Week Ordinance, which aims to provide stability and predictability to retail employees. As a retail business owner, it’s essential to adapt to these changes and maintain compliance with the new law. This blog post will discuss the ordinance’s key provisions and how Snap Schedule can help your business comply, optimize scheduling processes, and enhance employee communication.
Understanding the Retail Fair Work Week Ordinance:
The Retail Fair Work Week Ordinance applies to retail businesses with 300 or more employees worldwide and at least one location in Los Angeles. The key provisions include:
- Advanced Notice of Work Schedules: Employers must provide work schedules at least 14 days in advance. Changes after this period may result in premium pay.
- At Least 10 Hours of Rest Between Shifts: Employers must allow at least 10 hours of rest between shifts. If an employee consents to work during the rest period, they must be compensated at 1.5 times their regular pay rate.
- Right to Request Flexible Working Arrangements: Employees can request changes to work schedules or location, and employers must engage in an interactive process to consider the request.
- Access to Additional Hours for Existing Employees: Employers must offer additional work hours to current employees before hiring new employees or using temporary staffing services.
- Notice of Employees’ Rights: Employers are required to provide employees with a written notice of their rights under the ordinance in a conspicuous and accessible location.
- Recordkeeping Requirements: Employers must keep records related to work schedules, hours worked, and premium pay for a period of three years.
Complying with the Retail Fair Work Week Ordinance:
To comply with the ordinance, retail business owners should take the following steps:
- Review and update scheduling policies and procedures to ensure they align with the ordinance’s requirements.
- Train managers and supervisors on the new requirements, focusing on the importance of adhering to the 14-day advance notice period, the 10-hour rest between shifts, and employees’ rights to request flexible working arrangements.
- Develop a system for tracking and documenting work schedules, hours worked, and premium pay to maintain accurate records for at least three years.
- Establish a process for employees to request flexible working arrangements, and ensure managers engage in an interactive process to consider these requests.
- Create a transparent system for offering additional hours to existing employees before hiring new employees or using temporary staffing services.
- Provide employees with a written notice of their rights under the ordinance, and display the notice in a conspicuous and accessible location.
Leveraging Snap Schedule to Comply with the Retail Fair Work Week Ordinance:
Snap Schedule is a robust scheduling tool that helps businesses navigate the Retail Fair Work Week Ordinance with ease. Here’s how:
- Advanced Notice of Work Schedules: Snap Schedule enables you to create and distribute work schedules well in advance. The software automatically generates schedules based on employee availability, preferences, and skills, meeting the 14-day notice requirement.
- Ensuring Adequate Rest Between Shifts: Snap Schedule can be configured to enforce the 10-hour rest rule automatically. Shift rules and alerts prevent scheduling employees with insufficient rest time between shifts, helping you avoid premium pay.
- Facilitating Flexible Working Arrangements: Snap Schedule streamlines the process of employees submitting schedule change requests and managers responding promptly. The software’s interactive communication features, including the employee app messaging, foster a positive employer-employee relationship while ensuring compliance with the ordinance.
- Offering Additional Hours to Existing Employees: Snap Schedule tracks employee hours and identifies eligibility for additional work. The software allows you to offer extra hours to existing employees and maintain records demonstrating compliance with the ordinance. The open shift bidding feature further enhances this process by providing a fair and transparent platform for employees to bid on available shifts.
- Notice of Employees’ Rights: Snap Schedule can help you generate and distribute the required written notice of employees’ rights under the ordinance. By utilizing the software’s communication features, you can ensure that all employees receive the notice and have easy access to it.
- Recordkeeping Requirements: Snap Schedule’s comprehensive reporting capabilities enable you to generate and export reports on employee scheduling, hours worked, and compensation. These detailed reports help demonstrate compliance with the ordinance and ensure you have accurate records for at least three years, in case of an audit or dispute.
The City of Los Angeles Retail Fair Work Week Ordinance represents a significant change for retail businesses. However, with the right tools and processes in place, your business can adapt and thrive. Snap Schedule’s powerful scheduling capabilities, employee app messaging, open shift bidding, and comprehensive reporting features make it an invaluable tool for navigating the ordinance. By utilizing employee scheduling software like Snap Schedule, you can maintain compliance with the new law and improve overall workforce management and employee satisfaction.
Getting Started with Snap Schedule:
Ready to embrace the benefits of Snap Schedule and ensure compliance with the City of Los Angeles Retail Fair Work Week Ordinance? Getting started is simple. Visit our website to learn more about Snap Schedule’s features, request a personalized demo, or sign up for a free trial. Our team of experts is here to answer any questions you may have and help you get started on the path to streamlined scheduling, enhanced employee communication, and ordinance compliance. Don’t wait—and discover the power of Snap Schedule today.